Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The year is ending...

So my first year in Abu Dhabi is coming to an end and I find myself looking back on the last year with something akin to surprise.  I realize that I have changed a lot in the past year.  I came over with bright eyes, excitement and hope.  I felt like my life was starting and anything could happen.  It did too.  I made friends, met a lot of interesting people, and did some fun things.  As my excitement of a new place died down, my hope to open minds and make a difference did too.  Time healed my wounded hopes and dashed excitement though.  Time, friends and some great times.

Brunches at Pearls and Caviar are a special treat, with drinks on the roof after as we watch the sun set over the mosque.  Rain Parties are another special treat.  They start up when the weather gets warm enough and it is always a good time if you go with some fun people and love dancing in the rain.  Allure is another fun time and A-list time if you don't mind the thirty minute taxi ride to Yas Island.  Heroes and Captains Arms are good places to grab a pint and a nice way to unwind after a long work week.  Then there is always hanging out with friends and watching a movie, or going upstairs to the pool and laying in the warm water under the stars.

One thing that has proved more difficult then I expected, has been traveling within the UAE.  I have yet to spend any real time in Dubai, even though I was there for three days for Dubai 7's Rugby Tournament.  I also haven't been able to go to Al Ain to see the zoo, which I hear is amazing.  I would like to go jet skiing in the gulf, out for a few nights in Dubai, kayaking in the mangroves...etc. It all sounds interesting and like a heck of a lot of fun.  However, without a car traveling between the cities can be challenging.

I have also realized that while Europe is amazing and what I always hoped, I want to see the more rugged sides of the world.  Thailand, Africa, India, China, Australia, and Brazil to name a few.  I want to teach and live in places where I am not surrounded by expats and Americans.  This may sound surprising or even rude, but part of the reason I moved abroad was to go someplace new, meet new people, experience new cultures.  It is hard to do that in a place where the people surrounding you are from back home and the only country's culture is so completely removed from yours.  The only time I truly experience Emirati culture is when I am riding in a car, at the mall, or at school...which is pretty sad.

Living here, I have also realized how much I miss the little things.  Being able to walk out my front door and walk around without sand or cars making life difficult.  Being able to find the same thing at the grocery store every time I go.  Common courtesy on the roads and in general.  Not having to worry about how covered I am when I leave the apartment.  Being able to wear a real work outfit to work.  And pork...I didn't eat much pork in the states, but not being able to eat it makes me miss it.  I even miss real hot dogs and anyone who knows me knows I don't like hot dogs...at all.

I find that I am beginning to get more confidence in my abilities and myself.  It helps that I have friends who are constantly telling me to "stop letting people splash in my puddles."  I am learning to say no...slowly and not a hundred percent.  I am learning to stand up for myself instead of just standing up for others.  Finally, I am learning to love myself.  Its hard, and I am no where close to done but the encouragement of friends and loved ones drives me to continue to find myself.

Life here, though frustrating and even somewhat depressing at times, is a constant stream of unique and interesting times.  The friends I have made and the people I have met will remain a part of my memories and my life forever. This, however, is not my last stop in my career.  It is a stepping stone and I feel a renewed excitement and hope for what will come in the next couple years.

  

1 comment:

  1. That was one eventful year. Lots of things happened to you. So good luck for the coming years to come.


    property shop investment

    ReplyDelete