Tuesday, December 25, 2012

An Abu Dhabi Christmas

So I am sure many of you have been wondering what Christmas in Abu Dhabi would be like and as I have relaxed my travels this holiday season, I am uniquely qualified to tell you.


In all the hotels in Abu Dhabi and even the malls they have up holiday decorations compete with fat laughing Santa's and two story Christmas Trees.  You can even find Christmas music playing in most places.  Now I knew that Abu Dhabi was a place where you can get almost everything at your fingertips, but not so much at here in Abu Dhabi.  It is a well kept secret, but for both Christmas and Thanksgiving there is a restaurant that will make your entire meal for you.  It is called jones the grocer, www.jonesthegrocer.com, and I can honestly say that their turkey is akin to what I have back home and their pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving was the closest to my mom's homemade pie that I have had in a while.  They are also the only non-hotel related restaurant that is allowed to serve wine here in Abu Dhabi.  They have to serve it in tinted glasses and it can only be served after 6pm during the week and 12pm on the weekends, but its a plus.  jones is also decked out with Christmas decorations and has some of my favorite Christmas music playing from songs from the Nutcracker to Bing Crosby to songs from Home alone.  All in all it is the best place to come for a bit of home.

If you don't want to cook or worry about a whole turkey for Christmas, you can come into jones and get a three course meal.  The entree is really for two people, but if you come with an appetite like I did today, you can easily finish it on your own.  It has all my favorite starters, bread and dip, olives, seafood, etc.  Then you have a choice for the main Turkey or Salmon, today I chose to do the turkey, but I may come back tomorrow evening, so I can get the free-flowing wine option, and have the salmon with cauliflower gratin.  All this is wonderful, but the desert is what I am really looking forward to...Christmas Pudding!  The only way this day could get better right now is if I had some Gluvine!!

Yesterday we shared a wonderful Christmas Eve having Tracies homemade sushi.  Today we look forward to finally opening those Christmas gifts and getting to have a nice relaxing meal with close friends.  All in all a good Christmas day.  

4 comments: