Monday, August 29, 2011

Being involved was never so exhausting....

So anyone who knows me knows that I tend to be somewhat of a loner and a hermit, yes me the person who moved to another country on her own is independent...shocker!  Since moving to Abu Dhabi, I have been making a vested effort to make friends and actually hang out with them on a regular basis...I didn't realize how tiring it can be to be so social. Eileen, one of my girls here, knew a girl through a friend of hers and that girl has lots of friends so initially we were invited along and now we are starting to become a fixture in the group, which is great...it can just be hard to remember so many peoples names at times.  Then we have met other people through going out and such...needless to say now we get invited to things and my week fills up. I somehow got roped into playing rugby...no that isn't a typo.  We have a coach and a captain and practice twice a week.  Practice is like any intense hour and a half conditioning practice, but add to that intense heat, humidity, and the air is very different then it is in Minnesota.  So if you haven't drank enough water during the day, be ready to get dizzy and maybe have tunnel vision.  You sweat so quickly you have a thin sheen of water constantly on your skin, luckily practice is at night and its a bit cooler then.  The ball handling stuff was a lot of fun and I look forward to doing more and getting in shape.  Plus all the girls on the team are very nice and supportive to a green player like myself.  I have also learned about these things called brunches.  They start mid-day, you pay a base fee, and you get prettymuch all the food and drink (wine, beer, etc) you could want.  You basically eat all afternoon and then try to stay awake long enough to go out in the evening.  I have my first brunch this Friday and from what I hear they can be awesome and a bit crazy...my life is very interesting right now.  Still no apartment, but I know I am teaching at a high school near the downtown area of Abu Dhabi and that I will get my keys in the next two weeks here so I will make sure to keep you updated.  Have to go get ready for rugby practice, say a little prayer that I make it through alright!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are having fun and staying fit!

    You must have someone video your rugby playing!!!

    Drink lots and lots!

    Love, mom

    ReplyDelete