Friday, August 5, 2011

I have arrived!

So Thursday I left Minneapolis, MN to fly to Chicago and then on to Abu Dhabi.  Saying goodbye to my family was difficult, but surreal.  It feels more like I am going on a long vacation then moving to another country for a couple years.  The trip from Minneapolis to Chicago was booked to the brim and I had to put my not so small carry-on under the seat in front of me, making the already my already sparse space even more cramped.  However, my discomfort was made instantly better by the tv show, Big Bang Theory, that they had on for us to watch during the flight.  Then my only worry was that I wasn't laughing to much and making a spectacle of myself.  Arriving in Chicago, I had to walk down to the opposite end of the terminal, leave the terminal, walk across an overpass to the transit that I would be taking to International Terminal 5 to check into my flight...I would just like to note that in Minneapolis, when checking my bags, I was told I would just have to get off the plane and there would be a transit right there for a quick trip...no one said anything about all the ups, downs and arounds that you have to go to make it to the international terminal.  I, happily, arrived at the terminal to find that there was a long line of other teachers and nationals also checking into the Etihad flight.  I met a few other teachers who were also on the Minneapolis flight, they were all very nice and as clueless of what was expected of us when we arrived in Abu Dhabi as I was, which made me feel loads better.  I got checked in, finding out from the helpful woman that I didn't have a very good seat, and went on through the gate.  My carry-on was not weighed like so many others.  I got lucky as a few of the other teachers had lighter bags then me and still had to pay fees as high as around $100.  Also, they don't tell you that if you want to get a real food you need to get it in the fast food restaurants that come before the security check otherwise you can either get some snacks (chips and candy and such) near the gate, or go back out and have to go through the security check a second time.  I luckily had some trail mix to enjoy to tide me over.  There were many other teachers and I was fortunate to sit with and get to know a few of them as we waited.  Getting onto the plane was a long process and my seat was on the side in the middle of two people, but the people were nice and it was near the front.  I sat next to a woman who was teaching in Saudi Arabia and a man originally from Abu Dhabi.  The first thing he asked me upon sitting down was if I was Arabic, saying I looked Lebanese (you called it Laya).  I guess I may fit in a bit better then I thought.  The flight was long and I only slept a few hours, but there were plenty of good movies, tv shows and games to keep me busy...also, they constantly feed you so you never really get hungry and the food is really quite good.  Upon getting to Abu Dhabi I could see the water and sand dunes, it was amazing.  Getting off the plane all we followed the tunnel and at the end of the tunnel was a wonderful woman holding a sign for ADEC Teachers, which they call adeck.  We then got our visas and eventually went to get our eyes scanned and to go on through customs...the lines were long and it was quite warm in the terminal.  Then we were directed to baggage claim where we, along with the teachers from Dublin and Toronto, collected our luggage, put it on a cart and went on a long trip to where our buses were waiting for us.  It was warm and humid outside but our bags were put in a big truck and we were all brought to our hotel.  The airport is huge and the roads are very nice.  Upon seeing the Yas Hotel and realizing that was where we were staying made everyone in the bus start chattering with excitement.  To get to the then glowing bluish-purple hotel we had to go over a beautiful bridge, which passed over the Yas Marina Circuit.  Arriving at the hotel we were immediately directed to get our room keys, which they gave with the accompaniment of a wonderful glass of cranberry or orange juice.  We had to give them our passports for some information, but most of us got our passports back that night, I will have to get it this morning.  Then we went back to the lobby, told the nice hotel men which was our luggage and what room to bring it to.  I looked at my wonderful room, showered and dressed for some late dinner as I was then starving.  Because it is Ramadan we only have a limited menu at certain times.  After dinner in the hotels club, I went to my room and looked out at my balcony.  It was wonderful, but then I couldn't close the sliding door and had to call the desk to have them send someone up to close it for me.  I then got dressed and had a blissful 6 hours of sleep, I have a feeling I will need a short nap this afternoon.  As it is I need to get dressed and go eat breakfast before it closes at 9:30.  Then I may try a half priced back massage or mani/pedi that the hotel is offering to the ADEC teachers as today is our free day.  Ramadam Kareem!  Oh and Ferrari World themepark is only a 10minute transit ride away :)

No comments:

Post a Comment